0123

反精益创业 2017-1-23 Weekly Newsletter

  • Authorjackzhong
  • Date 21 January 2017
  • CategoryPM

Edition #35 weekly newsletter


INSPIRING QUOTES

“关于自己的表现,伊布说:’周遭围绕在我身上的压力远不及我自己给自己的压力大。我想要的不仅仅是完美,而是更完美,无论是在比赛还是训练中。在训练中输球我都会很不开心,你可以想象放到比赛我会怎样。这就是我给自己的压力,所以你们的压力在我面前都纯属小儿科。在得到我想要的之前,我永远不会满足,而我想要的就是胜利。'”

WEEKLY ARTICLES

Position, Position, Position!

房产生意中有句名言叫“位置,位置,位置“,对产品也同样适用。你可以尝试加入更多的feature,但别忘了你想让你的product处在怎样的位置上——这意味着更多的取舍,更多的tradeoff,同时意味着用户会怎么看待和使用你的产品。当两个产品的feature发生了大规模重叠,那就是竞争的开始。

作者举了个巧克力棒的例子;士力架的feature是“好嚼”,而milky way巧克力棒的feature是“易融”。”好嚼”意味士力架更偏”食物“的属性,而“易融”则代表着一种诱惑和放松。他们不同的feature决定了在巧克力棒市场中不同的“position”。士力架不会尝试占有用户想要放松和诱惑的时间,而milkyway也永远不会出现在篮球场边。这就是tradeoff。

想清楚自己产品的position。

A product’s position is a “location” in a more abstract space — the space of trade-offs. The decisions you make about which features to build and how to integrate them places you “closer” or “further” from other products.

When you know your position, you can say “no.” When you don’t know, you say “yes” out of fear. You build a feature because you’re afraid of what will happen if you don’t. That’s not a strong place to be competitively and it’s not a coherent place to be in terms of your product design.

These are trade-offs. The trade-offs are both what make them different, what define their competitive sets, and what make them suitable for different hiring moments.

Why anti-lean startups are back

什么是”反精益创业”?

过去十年间,无数创业者大行“精益创业”模式——先丢一个半生不熟的产品出去,然后不停迭代。精益创业的商业模式是”免费“为先,当累积到一定的用户后再增加一些feature来变现。

另一种极端的模式类似于“SpaceX, Tesla”。这些公司打从一开始就构建了宏伟蓝图,由资本推动。精益创业明显是不适用于“重科学”领域的,毕竟科技的进步远非一朝一夕几个scrum就能迭代出来的。他们从不快速迭代,也做不到快速迭代。

而在这两种模式之间还存在着一种模式,为眼下大多数AI公司所持,文中称之为“反精益创业”。这种模式虽然也需要资本与时间,但比Tesla这些公司来的灵活,用户的支付意愿也比Lean startup模式来的强。

有人奉lean startup为圣经:甚至感悟出人生的真谛。有人则看不起lean:“会飞的汽车”才是未来,140字的twitter是垃圾。

但是存在即合理:只是时间不同、市场环境不同、用户不同,各个公司的使命也不同罢了。

There’s nothing wrong with lean but when you’re pushing the boundaries of science, it fails miserably. Building an AI autonomous agent, for example, is not for the faint of heart; it has required about three years of R&D.

There is no vague notion of finding your customers sometime in the future. You need to truly understand the pain and the customers who have it early in the journey.

Why Your Product Must Stand for Something

当你试图取悦所有人时,你最后取悦不了任何人。Okcupid是一个在线匹配交友的App,用户可以互相为对方打分。创始人看数据的时候发现那些engagement最高的人往往不是那些要么4分要么5分的用户,而是要么1分要么5分的人——那些3分的用户往往反而很难激起兴趣。

你最好明确的知道你想服务的人是谁,他们想要的是什么。

I’ve found myself returning to Rudder’s premise of “death by a thousand mehs” periodically as a product manager and especially as a founder. Great products feel like they were designed by someone who knows exactly what your job is or what you’re trying to do.

When the company’s understanding of the customer is fuzzy, every adjacency starts to look attractive. By engaging with potential users directly, listening to their feedback, and observing how they do their jobs, you’ll uncover the real problems worth solving.

If you don’t invest in understanding your target customers (not just your current ones) inside and out, your odds of making a product they’ll love start heading toward zero.

The Sound of Silence

虽然互联网新媒体使微小的声音变得更响亮,却也让一些人停止了发声。在这个嘈杂的环境中,说出来的话一不小心就会被人大作文章,曲解本意。这也导致了一些有价值的声音渐渐就不发声了:当曲解,辱骂,反击的观点此起彼伏的出现,发声早已失去了“交流”的价值,而只剩下了“打扰”。到了那时,他们也就选择了离开与沉默。

而这些声音恰恰是我们所需要的。

这是任何一个平台都会遭遇的困境;最初种子用户们往往还是平等交流的,大家都愿意分享自己的声音。而当平台渐渐发展壮大,多种层次的用户齐齐涌入之后,统一的价值观便被冲得七零八落了。而早期的种子用户除了伤心的离开,别无他法——剩下的人继续载歌载舞,鼓噪着,狂欢着。

这个世界上还是特么太多xx了。

Some of the most useful things I’ve learned about startups over the years are also things I’d never share publicly. Not because the ideas are necessarily controversial in their own right, but because anyone could twist them to seem controversial if they were sufficiently motivated to.

It’s great that technology has given more people a voice on the internet. But that doesn’t necessarily mean less friction in sharing ideas, because some of those voices are shouting down the others.

How do we solve this problem? I don’t know, but I hope there is a solution. I hope we’re just in the social media 1.0 phase, and that technology will eventually bring us a social media 2.0 where one can speak more openly.

I’m horrified at the prospect of the most insightful people in their fields thinking, “That’s something I should comment on. Nah, what’s the point? Too much downside.” That’s what happens now, and we don’t even know how much, because how do you measure the sound of silence?

If you don’t finish then you’re just busy, not productive

没有deliver一些实质性结果的project永远只能停留在“我从这个project里学到了很多”的层面,而不是告诉别人”你看,这是我做的xxxx,这个过程中我学到了很多“。

想一想自己因为新鲜感开启过多少新的挑战?真正做完的呢?

If you’re always starting interesting projects and not finishing, then no matter how hard you work, you’re just busy, not productive.

The same applies to the projects we work on: even if you dedicate many hours to a task and it’s 80% of the way there, if you never finish then no-one will care.

WEEKLY PRODUCT

Price Tag

一款使用在App store的价格追踪插件。如名所示,当你想要下载一款付费App时,不妨打开这个插件浏览一下他的历史价格。虽然只是一个很小的需求,但可视化做的确实不错。希望后续可以增加提醒等Feature。

WEEKLY MUSIC

Warm On A Cold Night

Like a rabbit in headlights

They’re stunned by all your charm

And I feel so damn lucky

To have you on my arm

And I can’t help but wonder

How we ended up alright

And I love you like no other

Cause this has never felt so right

Yeah you can keep me warm on a cold night

Warm on a cold cold night

Yeah you can keep me warm on a cold night

Warm on a cold cold night

I want to treat you something special

Give you what you deserve

I want to take you to paradise

In a 1950’s Merc And I can’t help but wonder

Just how we ended up alright

And I love you like no other

And this has never felt so right

You can keep me warm on a cold night

Warm on a cold cold night

Yeah you can keep me warm on a cold night

Warm on a cold cold night

 

> Thank you for stopping by.

> Today is2016/01/16

> I’mTianjie Zhong | Jack

> #Live a life you will remember

> My life: jackztj.com

Write a comment